5.13.2011

It is Well.

It's funny how certain things happen at specific times in our life, especially when you need it the most. Whether it be a phone call from a friend, a card, or even a song on the radio being played -- God's timing is so cool when it comes to giving us encouragement through different means.

I can specifically remember 3 instances in my life where I was in the middle of huge life transition, and a song kept being infiltrated into my life: It is Well with My Soul. Whether it was played at church, heard it on the radio, or even someone humming it in the market; I love how God does these sort of things.

This happened again a few weeks ago for me. And within a period of 24 hrs I heard this song 4 times. I decided to do a little research on the background of this song:

"When the great Chicago fire consumed the Windy City in 1871, Horatio G. Spafford, an attorney heavily invested in real estate, lost a fortune. About that time, his only son, age 4, succumbed to scarlet fever. Horatio drowned his grief in work, pouring himself into rebuilding the city and assisting the 100,000 who had been left homeless.
In November 1863, he decided to take his wife and daughters to Europe. When an urgent matter detained Horatio in NY, he decided to send his wide, Anna, and their 4 daughters on ahead. As he saw them settled into a cabin aboard the luxurious French liner, Ville du Havre, he said good-bye, promising to join them soon.

During the small hours of November 22, 1873, as the Ville du Havre glided over smooth seas, the passengers were jolted from their bunks. The ship had collided with another sailing vessel, and water poured in like Niagara. The Ville du Havre tilted dangerously. Passengers clung to posts, tumbled through darkness, and were swept away by powerful currents of icy ocean. Within 2 hours, the mighty ship vanished beneath the waters. The 226 fatalities included Horatio’s 4 daughters. Mrs. Spafford was found nearly unconscious, clinging to a piece of wreckage. When the 47 survivors landed in Cardiff, Wales, she cabled her husband: “Saved Alone.”

Horatio immediately booked passage to join his wife. As Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, and as the ship passed over the water where his daughters had died, he said: “It is well; the will of God be done.”

He later wrote his famous hymn based on those words."

-Then Sings my Soul, Robert J. Morgan

After reading something like this I can't help but cry at the sad story of this man, yet feel triumph over his ability have faith and love in the Lord (and even move on & founded a missionary organization dedicated to helping the poor.) Once again, this song/story encouraged me, and I don't think I'll ever sing this song again without remembering the story of Horatio Spafford. I also think perspective is highly underrated.

It is well, with my soul.

No comments: